Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company Records - Item 12: Map of the Borough and Township of Mauch Chunk, 1854
Text for Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company Records - Item 12: Map of the Borough and Township of Mauch Chunk, 1854
Mansion House George Esser Lesse. Map of the Borough & Township of Mauch Chunk including plans of Nesquehoning, Summit hill, the borough of Tamaqua, and the coal works of the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company in the counties of Carbon & Schuylkill Pa. Surveyed & drawn by Philip Nunan. Published by Jos. B. Craig No 80. So. Front St. Philadelphia. 1854. Scale 100 perches to one inch. Superintendents residence. Mauch Chunk, one of the Chief Business Towns in Northern Pennsylvania Capital of Carbon County is situated on the Lehigh River 56 miles from Easton. It owes it present importance and flourishing condition chiefly to the mining operations of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company. The Lehigh Slack Water Navigation from Mauch Chunk to White Haven about 25 miles and Canal to Easton 46 1/2 miles was projected by Josiah White. George E. A. Hauto & Erskine Hazard of the County of Philadelphia, who were authorized by Act of Assembly passed 20th of March 1818, to improve the Navigation of the River . Fall from White Haven to Mauch Chunk 600 feet, overcome by 28 Locks and twenty dams of an average lift of 21 feet. Fall from Mauch Chunk to Easton 353 ft overcome by 46 Locks and 8 Dams of an average lift of 10 feet. In 1850, 722,000 tons of coal were transported on the Lehigh Navigation, 1851: 989,256 tons, in 1852: 1,114,000 tons & in 1853 over millions of tons. The Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company comprising Mess. White & Hazard and Associates, was incorporated February 13th, 1822. The following are the names of the officers of the Company at this time March 1854. Office 82 South Second Street Philadelphia. President James Cox, Secretary Edwin Walter, Treasurer Otis Ammidon. Managers: Erskine Hazard, Henry Cope, George Abbott, Joseph Fisher, John Farnum, Henry T. Bolter, John Brock, Richard Richardson, Alexander Fullerton, Andrew Manderson, Superintendent & Engineer Edwin A. Douglas. Population in 1853, 1000. Plan of Nesquehoning, Market Street, North Street, Mill Street, Cattawissa Street, Holland Street, Allen Street, Ratcliff Street, School Street, Douglas Street, J. Brennan, Tarlton, L. C., D. McAlrain, J. Harris, D. Klockner, A. E. Cabe, J. Leslie, D. Lemon, A. A. Douglas, J. R. Butler, Packer Harlen & Co. , Packer Harlen & Co., G. Davis, H. Jones, Farren, Mrs. Peters, W. Farren, Mrs. May, T. Siefried, A. Broderich, T. Hackert, A. Ricks, Packer & Douglas, Blakeske, School House, L. Ashley, Widow Hands, F. Mc Can, Catholic Church, Reverend P. Hanigan, T. Smith, J. Riely, J. Adams, Marsdon, C. Holmes, Lausanne Toqnship, Lehigh Valley Railroad, North Pennsylvania Railroad, Mount Pisgah, Borough of Mauch Chunk, Penn Forest Township, Borough of East Mauch Chunk, Lehigh Street, North Street, Fifth Street, Fourth Street, Third Street, Second Street, Centre Street, South Street, Weiss Lippincold & Miners Car Shop, Lehigh River, Lehigh Valley, Dam, North Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Centerville, Nesquehoning Mountain, Summit Hill, Jamestown, Tamaqua.