history for two hours or so. Return and reading Shelley � Rosalind
and Helen. Evening with Hart to hear Chapin. Sermon on the
touching act of love and devotion performed by Mary Magdalen and Judas� comment
on it. Beauty and poetry of the saviour�s rebuke, anticippatory
of the coming end � �against the day of my burial hath she done this.�
10. Monday. Drawing from Dante, and somewhat for Mr Hart. At
night a solitary Broadway ramble. Her birthday � God bless her.
11. Tuesday. Seeing my name among the post office list in the �Sun� went &
obtained a letter from home � which had been lying there two weeks, in consequence
of a slight error in direction. Algar Mitchell is dead � and his mother
quite �resigned� to it. Drawing. Out to Badean�s. Writing till
past 2 o�clock next morning, to my mother. When out on the mor-
ning with Mr Hart, accompanied him on a visit to a certain Steward aboard
a vessel who volunteered conveying letters for me.
12. Wednesday. Drawing. Out to Atlas Office � to Badean�s � to
Wall and William Street speering after colored paper for Mr Johns.
Afternoon �the Doctor� called. Evening a Battery ramble with Martin and Hart.
On the top of Rabineau�s Bath. Joined by Mapother and Johns.
13. Thursday. Drawing from Dante. Calls in Nassau Street. Eve-
ning, writing to my mother, finishing by 2 in the morning.
14. Friday. Physicking and illness all day. In the condition of Sancho
after the Don�s balsam. Being out in the afternoon, saw �Mose� in the shop-
windows. Writing letter for the Chacombe folks.
15. Saturday. With Hart to Peck ship, and committed Chacombe