cigars, beer, puns and songs. Not a very successful evening.
3. Thursday. Down-town meeting Hankins by the way.
He�s �agent� for selling an oil-print of Washington now. In the
evening to hear the first of Mackay�s lectures on Poetry and Song-
Introductory. Very mediocre.
5. Saturday.} Drawing and compiling-Jerroldiana.
6. Sunday. Rain all day. To Edwards�at night with
Haney and Cahill.
7. Monday. To Harper�s, Frank Leslie�s, Pic Office &c.
8. Tuesday. Jerroldiana. To Parton�s with Haney in the afternoon,
returning at night.
9. Wednesday. Rain all day. In doors. Jerroldiana, and novel.
10. Thursday. A letter from Barth. Praises Moliere, says
he lives the life of a cabbage, wants �a career and chance to make
a reputation,� and gives some home news. His mother isn�t well,
his sister Eliza has lost a child; and Walem having put his name
to a �friend�s� note has lost �700 � nearly all of his property.
Mrs Jewell called � boarding in Greene St. Reports that
Brainard is going about slandering Selina � saying that she told
him that Johnson had seduced her. He told this to Lee, husband to
Selina�s sister. Wrote to Foster and to Mary Anne. (She has
not answered my former letter, not sent a line, since the sad
news o the death of her husband.) Down town in the afternoon.
In the evening to hear Mackay�s third and concluding lecture.
11. Friday. In doors all day. Jerroldiana, and writing story.
12. Saturday. Wrote to Dick Bolton. Down town. Post Office
&c. Met Bellew and Thomson. Major Piercy up in our attic
at night. Boxing, talk, and brandy and water.