|Creator:||Economy Store, Bethlehem|
|Title:||Economy Store, Bethlehem|
|Dates:||1752 - 1770|
|Language of Material:||German|
|Location:||Moravian Church Archives|
|Alternate View:||View Moravian Archives Finding Aid|
The collection contains ledgers, journals, account books, daybooks, and inventories relating to the Economy Store in Bethlehem. Most of the collection is in German script although some English words appear.
The Moravians were organized into a single, communal unit, known as the Oeconomy, which began in 1741. This communal unit freed both men and women from family and domestic responsibilities so they could travel as preachers and religious teachers, while simultaneously staffing as many industries as possible, to finance the Unity's projects. Members in this communal unit acquired their goods from the Economy Store. In the late 1750s, the communal structure came under increasing pressure from both outside and inside Pennsylvania. Therefore in 1761, Bethlehem's leaders set about the complicated process of shifting from one single communal household to a more traditional town made up of separate families.
The collection consists of an inventory book, a daybook, loose accounts and an account books, two journals, and three ledgers