|Title:||Max Hark Papers|
|Language of Material:||German|
|Location:||Moravian Church Archives|
|Alternate View:||View Moravian Archives Finding Aid|
This collection contains manuscripts and publications of literary work written by J. Max Hark. These works include historical, sociological, and fictional writing, multiple pieces on the Moravian Church and Christianity, as well as a collection of opinion pieces published several times a month (1913-19200 in "The Moravian" entitled "My Notebook."
Joseph Maximilian Hark (known as Max Hark) was born on June 4, 1849 in Philadelphia to Joseph and Maria Louise (Bute) Hark. From 1865-1870 Max attended Moravian College and Theological Seminary. He was ordained as a deacon on September 7, 1873 in Nazareth by Bishop H.A. Schultz. He was married to Pedronilla/Matilda Theresa Crosta on October 7, 1873 with whom he had three children, Hugo Crosta (November 1, 1874), Hilda Theresa (January 1, 1886), and Anna Amelia (August 27, 1890). Hark was consecrated as a presbyter on May 20, 1875 in Lebanon, Pa. by Bishop E. de Schweinitz. He served as a pastor for several Moravian communities: Lebanon, Pa. (1873-1876 and again May 8, 1910- March 4, 1917), Philadelphia (Second Church) (1876-1881), and Lancaster, Pa. (1881-1893). He served as the principal of the Moravian Young Ladies Seminary in Bethlehem (1893- June 1909). After a brief retirement in Mt. Gretna after his service to the Seminary, Max returned to serve again as a minister in Lebanon. He was engaged throughout his life in literary work (some of which can be found in this collection) and helped edit "The Moravian" from 1881-1885. He received a D.D. from Franklin Marshall College in 1893. After his last appointment in Lebanon Hark retired to Mt. Gretna and later went to visit with his son, Dr. Hugo Hark, in St. Croix, Virgin Islands, West Indies. While in St. Croix Joseph Maximilian fell ill and died on July 24, 1930. His wife died on August 11, 1932.
The papers were received by the Archives at an unknown date. This collection was catalogued by Katey Fardelmann in August 2011.