Browse Table of Contents >> Browsing Northampton County, NC p.062

Previous

Next

Add to My Favorites

For Printing:
Page PDFSection PDF

View: Small Image | Large Image | Description

Full Text: NORTHAMPTON COUNTY 62 Depuy (Depui, Depue, also erroneously Depew) Ferry; a ferry across the Delaware River about 3 miles above Martins Creek. Named for owner, a member of the French family that settled north of Blue Mountain prior to 1730. Depuy Ferry Road; road leading to the ferry. Dill's Ferry; see Portland. Dimers (Diemers, Deemer); see Coffeetown. Douglassville; a settlement near the Douglass slate quarry along Bushkill Creek about one mile northwest of Aluta. Named for the Douglass family. Dryland and Drylands; the name applied to that region lying between Bethlehem and Nazareth that contains few surface streams. Drylands Pond; see Green Pond. Dry Run; a stream near Northampton that is frequently dry. Also see Mud Run. Durham and Reading Hills; the chain of mountains running between the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers from Durham Furnace to Reading, and including the mountains known as Lehigh Mountain or South Mountain(s). Both Durham and Reading were named for English towns. East Allen Township; erected from Allen Township in 1845. See Allen Township for name. East Bangor; village lying to east of Bangor. Formerly known as Delps or Delpsburg for Andrew Delps who founded the village in 1856. East Branch, East Fork; applied to east branch of several streams. Easton; named by Thomas Penn in 1751 for the estate of Easton Neston, belonging to his father-in-law, the Earl of Pomphret (Pomfret). The estate was in Northamptonshire, England. The old name was ""The Forks of the Delaware"" which was usually applied to the entire area of Northampton County north of the Lehigh River but occasionally to the more restricted area where the Lehigh and Delaware rivers join. The Indian name was ""Lechauwitank"" meaning ""in the forks."" Erroneously the name has been stated to have been given ""because of its eastern position in the State."" Edelman; family name. Edgemont; probably named because of its location near the base of Blue Mountain. Elephant Rock; a rock of elephantine proportions. Emanuelsville; the family name of Emanuel appears in the early records of the county and probably furnishes the name. Appears on 1860 map by Hopkins as Immanualsville. Emery Island; family name. Factoryville; some manufacturing enterprises explain origin. Falmers; see Beersville. Farmersville; named because farming is the principal occupation of the residents of the region. Was called Lawalts, a family name, at an early date (on 1830 map). Filetown; named because at one time a considerable portion of the inhabitants were employed in the filing of gun locks for the Henry Rifle Factory on the Bushkill nearby (see Boulton). Until 1840 it was known as Assylum, as Moravian couples expelled from the Moravian colonies for transgressing the rules of morality took temporary refuge here in a large stone house. Some of them settled in the community. Flatfield ; a small settlement on Martins Creek laid out by William McCalla about 1812. Named because of the flat land. Flicksville ; named for John Flick, the first settler. Flint Hill; the hill at south end of Lower Saucon Township that has quantities of quartz and quartzite cobbles in soil. Also called Grubsberg or Grubbsberg because of the abundance of cobbles that had to be grubbed (dug) out of the fields.
Collection: Pennsylvania Geological Survey
Series: Fourth Series, Bulletin C 48
Book: Northampton County Pennsylvania Geology & Geography
Imprint: Harrisburg, Pa.: Dept. of Internal Affairs, Topographic and Geologic Survey, 1939.
Section: Toponymy, Place names
Author: Benjamin L. Miller
Co-Author: 
Project Source: Lehigh University Digital Library Projects

Powered by CONTENTdm