10. Monday. Down town only at noon, when to Fulton
Market for dinner, looking in at the office of the triumvirate
subsequently. Writing, and preparing matters appertaining all
day, close at it.
11. Tuesday. Writing. Met Sol and Alf Waud at the
Rainbow, where I dined. They off to Hoboken, Waud being
desirous of finding lodgings for his �sister:� I along the North
River side to call on Creecy, but he was not at his Office.
At 5 with, Sol, Alf and Haney to Gonpils in Broadway, there
to see Ary Scheffers picture of Dante and Beatrice. Met,
after supping, in Chamber Street J B Holmes. He, speaking
of the murder he committed, said twas �only a d__d b__y police-
man!� and wanted me to drink with him. So much for
a scoundrel�s penitence, and New York justice.
12. Wednesday. Up town to dine at Grand Street, calling
on Banks subsequently. With him to Weed�s. To room.
Parton called with intent to introduce me to Fowler & Wells, but
they were not within. Down town after supping, and meeting Alf
on returning at my office door, with him up-town, I going to Niblo�s.
A concert there, Parton, (who had given me ticket,) meeting me.
�Lager�, and a cigar subsequently.
13. Thursday. A letter from my mother. Banks up
and in the evening Alf Waud and Sol.
14. Friday. Writing & thereanent. Parton called in
15. Saturday. Writing. Down town at noon tide,
saw Haney & the fellows. Parton introduced me to Wells